The marriage ministry of Jesus Community Church is based on the teachings of Ephesians 5:33 – solid instruction to husbands and wives. Dr. Emerson Eggerichs wrote a biblically based study centered on the scriptural principles of love and respect, as outlined in Ephesians 5:33. Here are some excerpts from his book, which we utilize as a tool in our marriage ministry:
Cracking the communication code between husband and wife involves understanding one thing: that unconditional respect is as powerful for him as unconditional love is for her. It’s the secret to marriage that every couple seeks.
C-O-U-P-L-E: How to spell love to your wife:
Closeness – she wants you to be close
Openness – she wants you to open up to her
Understanding – don’t try to “fix” her; just listen
Peacemaking- she wants you to say, “I’m sorry”
Loyalty – she needs to know you’re committed
Esteem – she wants you to honor and cherish her
C-H-A-I-R-S: How to spell respect to your husband:
Conquest – appreciate his desire to work and achieve
Hierarchy – appreciate his design to protect and provide
Authority – appreciate his design to serve and lead
Insight – appreciate his desire to analyze and counsel
Relationship – appreciate his desire for shoulder-to-shoulder friendship
Sexuality – appreciate his need for sexual intimacy
Always ask yourself:
- Is what I am about to do going to feel unloving to her?
- Is what I am about to do going to feel disrespectful to him?
Things to remember:
- When she is being critical or angry, she is crying out for your love; her intent is not to be disrespectful.
- When he is being harsh or stonewalling you, he is crying out for respect; his intention is not be unloving.
- When you feel disrespected, you tend to react in unloving ways and don’t see it.
- When you feel unloved, you tend to react disrespectfully and don’t see it.
- When you feel disrespected, it is not natural for you to be loving in return; you must love her in an act of obedience to Christ.
- When you feel unloved, it is not natural for you to be respectful in return; you must respect him in an act of obedience to Christ.
- Ultimately you show your love for Christ when you unconditionally love your wife.
- Ultimately, you show your reverence for Christ when you unconditionally respect your husband.
The above information is just a sampling of the insights and techniques shared in the Love and Respect book and discussed in our marriage Bible study small groups.
Jesus Community Church
Where New Life in Christ is Found